Friday, November 18, 2011

Some Turkey Day Sides

Rachel here.

Did anybody else have that oh-shit-Thanksgiving's-next-week moment in the last few days? Because I definitely did. And while I love any day devoted to eating, my teeth clenched a little as my head began to swarm with all of the things we need to do in order to make that magical feast appear. Lobbying to host this year instead of visit our friend's house like we've done in the past, John as signed up for the bird (but we haven't signed up for our bird at the grocery store yet...oh good). When he does that, he lays claim to the stuffing and gravy, too. Some year I'd like to commandeer the turkey project (or so I think, having never had to navigate a whole turkey), but currently I love watching the glimmer in John's eye as he ponders different methods and ingredients. I might be delusional, but I'm pretty sure John wouldn't mind being given a turkey to cook--and all the time and ingredients and equipment needed to do so exactly as he'd like--for his birthday.

Anyway, whether you've got a hot date with the turkey or you're doing the whole affair or you're bringing sides to a friends house, today we offer up a round-up of side dishes we've cooked and loved. We can't step into the kitchen to offer another set of hands (although I just pictured spending an afternoon in the kitchen with a mystery reader and I got like, really, really excited), but we can help free up a little brain space for whatever else you need to coordinate between now and Thanksgiving, even if it's just an outfit.

Apple-Ginger Carrots
Butternut Squash and Red Pepper Casserole
Acorn Squash With Wild Mushroom Cranberry Stuffing
Broccoli, Cauliflower And Onion Casserole

No comments:

Post a Comment