Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Books That Make Us Hungry: "I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence" by Amy Sedaris

Rachel here: Until today, my ma and I have featured blogs on Tuesdays (under the monicker Blogs That Make Us Hungry). Today, though, we are branching out to include books on Tuesdays (this isn't a goodbye to blogs, just a branching out). I couldn't be more delighted, either, with the book I chose to kick this off (sorry, Ma! we never discussed this and I hope you like my choice...): "I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence" by Amy Sedaris.

I was given this book as a going away present by my coworkers at my old job the first time I quit (yes, first time...but that's a story for another day). It is one of my favorite books that I own and I have read it cover-to-cover (including taking the dust jacket off to admire the poster of a sprinkles-coated Amy). Filled with themed parties, recipes, and general do-it-yourself gumption, there is not a page in this book that won't make you laugh. Amy (like her brother David Sedaris) is nothing short of hilarious and in this marvelously twisted and perverse fashion that I am rather in awe of. She rigs ashtrays out of clamshells, shamelessly places collection jars out for her pet rabbit, and includes information for how to tell which drugs people are on. The best part, though, is that buried beneath this glorious mountain of kitsch are some recipes that actually work. I keep swearing that one of these weeks I'm going to do right by my love for Amy and actually make one of them.

Anyway, if there's a doubt in your mind about whether or not you should step away from your computer and purchase this book immediately (or don't step away and click on the link above), ask yourself this: Am I awesome in a way that perhaps too few people appreciate? If the answer is yes, then Amy's the gal to join you in your entertaining and culinary endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment