Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Books That Make Us Hungry: Toddler Meals by Shana Priwer and Cynthia Phillips

Rachel here: I love breastfeeding M, I really do. I know that when she and I stop doing this I will feel a sense of loss, of final physical disconnection from the baby who grew inside me for nearly 10 months. I'd be lying, though, if I said that I don't get excited about introducing our kid to solid foods. John and I love to eat and we love to cook and we both get pretty animated when we discuss sharing this with M someday in the not-so-distant future. We joke, too, that because we enjoy food so much M is nearly guaranteed to be finicky. This is where Toddler Meals by Shana Priwer and Cynthia Phillips will come in handy.

Priwer and Phillips offer up a mini-Bible when it comes to the initial transition to solid foods and the days that follow. With information ranging from appetite sizes to storage options, I know this is a book I'll be opening often in the next year. Besides that, their recipes actually sound like they taste good. There's a broad variety, too. Personally, I might not wait for M to stop breastfeeding before I try their recipes for whole milk yogurt and bagels. For those of you who've fed kiddies before out there, what are/were your tried and true recipes? I figure I should start stockpiling now...

1 comment:

  1. I wish I'd had something like this when you and your brothers were young. I have to admit I pretty quickly went for convenience. I got a food mill and smooshed some food, but when I discovered the same thing in jars pre-made, that food mill quickly began to gather dust.

    ReplyDelete