Monday, September 27, 2010

Meatless Mondays: Burritos

Hey Rachel

I'm so glad you, John and M (vicariously or is it secondhand?) enjoyed the leftover burritos last week. First, how great are leftovers? It's so wonderful to come in the door after a grueling day at work, or in your case school, and know there is something nutritious to eat just a microwave away. I wish I had been more organized as a young working mother to figure this out. It wasn't until I started my gig in Albany (I work out of town two to four days a week creating magazines) that I started cooking ahead and making dishes that had leftovers for the rest of the week. Stuuuupid. How I would have loved to have done this in the days of juggling a job and young children. I hope you learn from my mistakes. The key to good meals during the week is smart cooking on the weekends.

Anyway on to the burritos. I don't think my burritos are particularly spectacular and they change just about every time I make them. It all depends what's in the house. These particular burritos featured black beans (a personal favorite of mine), corn, dirty rice (that I made from a box so there's THAT confession; it wasn't from scratch), chili powder, hot sauce, some guacamole, grated sharp cheddar, sour cream and salsa. Mix it all together in a bowl, wrap it in a tortilla, pop it in the oven, and voila, instant filling dinner.

I have also made burritos with refried beans, jalapenos, ground turkey and all of the above. I think that's what I like about them so much: You can do just about whatever you want within certain perameters, it's fast and it's nutritious. What are your favorite burrito fillings?

No comments:

Post a Comment