Wednesday, February 2, 2011

In the Details


Since I started back at school I've become a serial boxed cereal eater. I'm sure I'll return to the glory days of granola baking, but for the past several months the name of the game has been ease. Needless to say, breakfast is a little less exciting when it's poured straight from a box, particularly when it's the same box day after day, week after week.

The excitement--the feeling of self-tending--then, comes in the little details.

I love vintage Pyrex. Love it, love it, love it. Durable and kitschy, it's something I can get behind on a number of levels. Over the years I've been making this interest known and have managed to accumulate what is surely becoming a respectable collection. Over our visit to Connecticut my mom added to our stash, gifting us with cereal bowls (and the original primary-colored storage containers...*swoon*) which brought the collection into tableware, a kitchen arena that up until then was devoid of any Pyrex save a lonely butter dish.

Now every morning I pour my unexciting and super healthy boxed cereal into a vintage Pyrex cereal bowl. It makes me smile a little bit and think of my mom and it makes breakfast feel just that little bit special which, I think, is an excellent addition to the start of a day.

-R

No comments:

Post a Comment