Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Blogs That Make Us Hungry:


Janet here: Having started this food blog with Rachel just six weeks ago, I have been amazed at two things: the number of food blogs out in the blogosphere and the number of terrific ones. It can make me feel more than a little anxious if I think about it too long, as in those kind of self-esteem-crushing thoughts like Who do I think I am to be doing something like this? Self-help guru Wayne Dyer called that kind of thing self-defeating behavior, something I tried to banish after my starter marriage.

Anyway, the blog that makes us hungry this week is Eat Make Read. As an avid reader, I was intrigued by the title. Then I fell in love with the simplicity of the recipes (Kelly features one for grilled cheese and apple sandwiches) and that she features DRINKS. I don't make drinks — ever. (That's another long story for another time.) But I love drinking good drinks and so far I haven't found many blogs that feature drinks. Her post on Manhattans and happy hour made me think fondly of my husband, Peter, who recently created a winter drink just for me called the Cranberry Corker after I told him how much I envied that he could drink Manhattans; they just look so wintry and seem like the perfect drink for a cold winter's day. In the summer I'm a gin-and-tonic gal and it just seemed so boring to only drink wine in the winter, so I was very happy when he presented me with the corker, which is also made with tequila, another favorite of mine.

But I digress. If you're tired of blogs that seem really complicated and make cooking look like something only special people can do, check out Eat Make Read. This is down-to-earth talk about food.

Rachel here: Ok, so I'm pregnant (in case you haven't been following or umm...seen me lately) and Kelly's blog leaves me seriously itching for a stiff drink. Her approach to food is refreshingly unpretentious and so is her tone, but (like mother, like daughter) it's the drink component that really grabs me with her blog (maybe we should have called this post: Blogs That Make Us Thirsty). Her drinks, like her food, are presented with simple and clear instructions that ooze accessibility and scrumptiousness all at once. I highly recommend checking her blog out, although perhaps waiting until 5 pm (although, of course, it's always 5 o'clock somewhere). Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. You two just make me smile. You are both such good writers and quitecwitty. We read you everyday ( Emma and I especially). Love it!

    ReplyDelete