Thursday, May 6, 2010

Food for Thought Thursdays: More Than Chocolate Ice Cream


Rachel here: When I was a little girl and my mom would tuck me into bed, after singing lullabies she'd pause at my bedroom door. She'd turn and blow me kisses saying, "I love you more than tongue can tell and more than chocolate ice cream" before leaving the door ajar and me to drift into sleep. I can still see her backlit by the hall light, fingers to her lips. I can hear her softly bid me goodnight and feel the dark blanketing me in safety and love.

As we all know, Mother's Day is fast approaching. This Sunday I'm sure many of us will be showing our mom's a little bit of love, be it in the form of a card, some quality time together, or just thinking good thoughts about our moms who are no longer with us. As someone on the brink of becoming a mom herself, Mother's Day this year feels a little extra poignant. I've been thinking of my mom a lot over the last 33 weeks (oh yeah, I am seriously pregnant these days) as I have begun my own adventure in motherhood. I have missed her more often than usual, wishing we could actually see each other more during this period of transition in both of our lives. There have been many, many days where I have felt like all I really wanted to do was go for a walk or grab a bite to eat with my mom. There has been this odd coupling of both feeling more like my mother's child than I have in years and also feeling more like a singular being as I grapple with my growing responsibilities.

This blog has been a great connecter for the two of us during this period. We are both busy ladies, prone to running around all day and falling into bed wiped out at night and, though we have always been close, this blog has served as a tie that binds amidst all of our day-to-day chaos. Even if it's only for a few minutes, there are few days in a week in which we don't speak. I love this. It has brought a spontaneity to our friendship that is hard to attain/maintain from so far away. We no longer need to catch up because we are both aware of what's going on in the other person's life at any given moment. Plus, I feel like I've gotten to see my mom differently, as though through blogging we found a forum to re-meet each other in some ways, to discover different aspects of the ways we both work and who we each are. It's really pretty awesome and not a gift I had anticipated receiving via our foray into the blogosphere together.

And so, Mom, though it's a few days early, I just wanted to say, now and forever more, I love you more than tongue can tell and more than chocolate ice cream. XXOO.

No comments:

Post a Comment