Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Speedy Suppers


Janet here: It was a busy day at work, I had just finished driving nearly 2 hours to get home and I was beat. Since dinner was not going to miraculously appear on the table from the Cooking Fairy I often fantasize about on these kinds of days, I wanted something fast and easy. Time to rummage.

I found a zucchini, some pesto, pine nuts, grated Parmesan cheese and pasta. Fifteen minutes later we had a tasty nutritious dinner a thousand times better than the fast food I pondered picking up on my drive. What's your go-to rummage meal?

Zucchini Pasta
serves 4

ingredients

1 large zucchini, cut in half and then cut into 1/4 inch slices
2-3 tablespoons pesto (depends on your level of taste)
3/4 pound of your favorite pasta or whatever is in your pantry
pine nuts--I love these so I erred on the side of a lot. It's up to you
freshly grated Parmesan cheese (obviously other cheeses would work too)

method

Cook the pasta to al dente. While it's cooking, stir fry the zucchini in a little olive oil with the pine nuts until just cooked. Take off the heat.

Drain the pasta. Throw in the pesto and toss. Add the zucchini and pine nut mixture. Add the cheese and voila! A little bread if you're lucky to have some on hand, maybe a salad and you're good to go.

1 comment: