Monday, April 4, 2011

Matzoh Magic


I can thank my father-in-law for introducing me to matzoh. Although he is not Jewish, he always had a handy supply around this time of year and I discovered their light goodness.

I can thank my friend, Sharon, for letting me know about something she called matzoh brickle. She gave me a sample last year and I immediately vowed to make a variation of her recipe the next time matzoh hit the supermarket shelves. While you might not think to pair matzoh and chocolate, once you make this, you will always want to put them together again. Trust me, it's that addictive.

Matzoh Magic

ingredients
3 matzoh sheets
1 1/2 sticks salted butter
3/4 cup dark sugar
10-12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate bits
3/4 cup sliced almonds
These will vary a bit depending on the size of your baking tin with sides. Mine held two large matzoh squares, plus some broken off bits. If yours holds more, I would move up to 2 sticks of butter and 1 cup of dark sugar.



method
Heat oven to 450 degrees. Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil. Melt the butter and dark brown sugar in a pan, stirring frequently. Cook until starting to bubble. Then pour evenly over the matzoh squares and place in the oven for 1-2 minutes.

Take out and sprinkle the chocolate bits over the matzoh. Put back in the oven for 2 minutes. Take out and with a spatula spread the chocolate evenly. Sprinkle with the almonds. Place in refrigerator or freezer and let harden. Then break into pieces. Keep in the freezer or the refrigerator — assuming it's around long enough to have to save.

2 comments:

  1. Do you a cake pan or a cookie sheet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. a cookie sheet with an edge so the chocolate doesn't drip out. A baking pan would likely be a little small. Let us know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete