Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Red Lentil Dhal, for All

Rachel here.

A while ago I posted about "Toddler Meals" and it's glorious effort to beat back the dinner blues. When I wrote about it, though, the idea of making a meal for M that involved much more than breast milk was just that--an idea--and nothing more. My first kid, I had no idea what was in store for us as the year progressed.

"Toddler Meals" has become our kitchen bff. Not only does it offer up tons and tons of simple combinations that are baby-kid friendly (because M is definitely a baby-kid right now...), but it also includes recipes for the whole stinking family to enjoy. Be still my beating heart. The recipes are definitely on the bland side (we are feeding an eleven month old after all...and the book is divided into age categories), but John and I are both more than capable of adding salt and whatnot to our plates once M has noticed that we are, in fact, all eating the same thing.

And so, last week I made the Red Lentil Dhal recipe. It's super easy, which is super wonderful and totally what I'm looking for come 6 o'clock. I doubled the recipe because I wasn't sure if the serving suggestion of 3 meant kids or adults. Doubling it made a ton and enough for leftovers (always welcome), but if you're interested in not stocking your fridge with dahl then just follow the recipe and enjoy a warm, hearty and healthy meal.

Red Lentil Dhal, for All

ingredients
1/2 cup split red lentils
2 cups chicken stock (or water)
1/2 tspn. cumin
1/4 small onion, diced
1/4 mild green chili, diced
1/4 tspn. ginger
1/4 tspn. garlic

method
Peel garlic and ginger. Chop finely. Bring stock/water to a rapid boil in a medium sauce pan. Add lentils, onion, ginger, garlic, chili, and cumin, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for about 45 minutes, or until the lentils are completely soft. Serve with couscous or, you know, in a pile on a place mat depending on the age of the eater.

No comments:

Post a Comment