Thursday, January 28, 2010

Food for Thought Thursdays

Janet here: We're going to devote Thursdays to food memories. Sometimes it will be me, sometimes it will be Rachel, sometimes it will be both of us. I kicked it off last week with the post about my mother and her cookbooks. You can read it here.

As Rachel and I were texting back and forth about what today's post might feature, we got all nostalgic about times when we ate things we weren't supposed to that somehow made the moment all special. I recalled a weekend when Rachel and her two brothers, S and G, were younger. My husband was away for some reason (probably involving hiking long distances) and I decided we would get a bunch of videos (that would be back in the days of tapes, not DVDs), stay in our pajamas and watch TV AS LONG AS WE WANTED TO. Each child got to pick a movie and we spread out a blanket on the family room floor and ate all kinds of unhealthy junk food and didn't worry about a specific meal. It was anything goes, and it feel so delicious. We were in our own little cocoon from the world. No work, no school, no daycare, no silly rules about getting dressed at a certain time or eating certain kinds of foods. I only remember one of the movies, Little Women with Claire Danes, Kirsten Dunst and Susan Sarandon. But my kids, Rachel in particular, started calling me Marmy from time to time after that, and the name has always instantly recalled that moment for me and filled my heart with love and the happiness of that special time. It's amazing how the small things always make the biggest difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment