Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Food as Poison??


This post is going to be a little different because it's all about what not to eat. Or more specifically what I'm not allowed to eat for the next 17 and 1/2 days and counting.

Despite the regular derision by my now mostly adult children, I go to an acupuncturist and have for at least 15 years. I don't go regularly but every time I have an issue this very clever man has, for the most part, been able to fix it...a point my children conveniently like to ignore. Anyway, he's been trying to get me to do this purification cleansing program for a few years and I finally decided to give it a shot. If it will actually help me sleep through the night and eliminate some of my sinus issues, it will be worth it.

In the meantime, however, it royally sucks. While I am really really really trying to think of this as a gift of health to myself, the categories of favorite foods I can't eat is long. The no's include, but are not limited to:

SUGAR!
CAFFEINE!
ALCOHOL!
wheat
protein except through this disgusting powder that I have to drink in a "shake"
grains except brown rice or wild rice
nuts and seeds--bye bye wonderful homemade granola

I also have to take 30 — yes 30 — supplemental pills a day. Fun this is not.

The idea is that I've likely consumed over the years a number of foods that maybe my liver and kidney and intestines don't actually love. Add in environmental toxins and my body is potentially a walking Superfund site. It's a theory that I general buy into, although it seems kind of ironic on some levels. I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years and have been one of the early fans of organic and local food. Yes, I drink coffee (I would kill for a tall skinny caramel latte right now) and I like my wine and Cranberry Corkers, but mostly I feel as if I try to feed my body fairly well. Sure, I love chocolate, but what about all those studies saying dark chocolate (in moderation I know I know) is good for you?

But I will persevere. The first two days I had a headache behind my eyeballs that ignored Tylenol and a ache in my head behind my right ear weirdly. Today they're gone. There are some other indicators that this might actually be doing something positive but I won't scare you with those details.

I'll let you know how I'm doing. In the meantime, I have realized that mixing ice and water with some fruit helps the shake go down, but trust me: This photo looks a lot better than this thing tastes. Now if I could add a little vanilla yogurt...

--Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment