Monday, January 24, 2011

Tex Mex Comfort Food


Hey Rachel
My go-to comfort food is Mexican, and with the Northeast looking as if it's going to be blasted this week with its third snowstorm in as many weeks, I just might have to make this tasty meal. Oh, wait, no I can't because I'm still on my detoxing food plan. Argh. Somehow stir-fried veggies with wild rice is just not going to cut it.

But I digress. This Tex Mex dish is an easy weeknight meal and includes, if you're feeling very pressed for time or lazy, a rotisserie chicken if you want. It will be our little secret.

I'm not sure why Tex Mex is so comforting to me. I'm sure it has something to do with the carbs and cheese. Now that's a combination I can get behind. :)

Anyway, do me a favor and make it this week and send vicarious warm, cozy thoughts from CA, where it is, as you annoyingly like to remind me, 60 degrees and mostly sunny.
___________________________________________________________
In the meantime, I'd love to hear from some readers. Do you have favorite comfort food when the weather outside is frightful? If so, what is it? Do you go for sweets? Carbs? Salt? And why does the weather make some of us (I can't be the only one can I???) feel like eating certain kinds of food?

Quesadilla Pie
serves 4-6

ingredients
1 10 ounce can of green or red enchilada sauce
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 8-inch tortillas
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, plus extra for the top
1 3-4 pound rotisserie chicken shredded OR (for the ambitious) 3 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1 zucchini, quartered and thinly sliced
1 cup salsa

method
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
If you're not using a rotisserie chicken, saute the chicken slices in a skillet with a little olive oil and some chili powder, salt and pepper to taste.
In a small bowl combine the enchilada sauce and cream. Spoon 1/4 cup of the sauce mixture into the bottom of a shallow 2-quart caserole. Top with 1 tortilla and a third of the cheese, chicken, onion and zucchini. Place a tortilla on top and repeat twice more to form a total of 3 layers. Top with the remaining tortilla, sauce and cheese.

Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes more. Slice into wedges and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment