Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Best Leftovers Problem Ever: Fried Chicken and Waffles


Rachel here: Our super amazing friends just threw us a baby shower the other night. There were many amazing things about the evening, but one of the unexpected ones was our fridge being stocked with a bounty of leftover fried chicken once the guests had cleared out. I honestly never would've thought it was possible for people not to consume all the fried chicken. Anyway, these leftovers posed an awesome problem.

One of John's and my all-time favorite things to eat is fried chicken and waffles. It's a staple where we live and can be found everywhere from chicken and waffle houses to upscale eateries. Somehow, though, we'd never made this meal at home. I guess that's probably due to the fact that we've never made fried chicken at home. Anyway, the morning after the baby shower when John was leaving for work in the wee hours of the morning, he kissed my sleeping head goodbye and whispered "Let's have chicken and waffles for dinner." I woke up grinning.

The magic of chicken and waffles is that you get a little bit of everything on one plate. You get something savory (fried chicken) and something sweet (maple syrup), a bit of kick (because fried chicken necessitates hot sauce) and a good neutral background (the waffle). Seriously, it's perfection on a plate. To get our waffle recipe click here. I neglected to take a photo of our chicken and waffle extravaganza, unable to restrain myself from diving in immediately. I include a photograph from my previous waffle post below, though, to whet your appetite.



I'm pretty sure that if I was asked what I wanted for my final meal I would choose fried chicken and waffles. What would you pick?

1 comment:

  1. When Rachel told me about this combination of foods, I was openly skeptical. Waffles and fried chicken? Really? I'm still not sure I get it, but hey I'll try anything once. Has anyone else heard about this phenomenon?

    ReplyDelete