Monday, June 28, 2010

Meatless Mondays: Beans and Corn Anyone?



Janet here: I got this recipe from my friend Betsy, who got it from her friend Julie who got it who knows where. I just love that about recipes — that they're about nourishing your stomach but that they're about nourishing so much more. In this case, I can remember when Betsy made this for me and when she gave me the recipe. It's just one of many shared moments we have together and I love that I can't ever serve this salad without thinking of her.

While not a meal unto itself, you could easily add a green salad, a little bread and maybe some cheese, and have a lovely cold summer dinner for a hot day. Here's hoping you will share this with someone you love. Enjoy!

Corn and Bean Salad

serves a bunch

ingredients
2 cans corn
2 cans black beans, rinsed
1 red pepper, diced
1 red onion, peeled and diced
3 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

for dressing

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
chopped cilantro to taste

method

In a small bowl, mix the dressing ingredients and let sit.

In a large bowl mix the other ingredients. Then add the dressing and toss well. Check seasonings. I often add chili powder or some hot sauce because that's how we roll in our family. Refrigerate. The longer this sits, the better it tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment