Friday, June 18, 2010

So Smoothie



Janet here:
I don't remember exactly when I personally fell in love with smoothies, but I remember clearly my Mom Moment when I realized I could get nutrition into my small children by pureeing stuff in a blender and serving it as if it was a milkshake. Hello!

Anytime my children said they didn't want any fruit, I would casually ask if they would like a smoothie, and then smile behind their backs as they said an enthusiastic "Yes!" Mission accomplished. Added bonus? It's a way to use up fruit that's on the edge of going bad.

I know there are a ton of recipes out there for smoothies, but I see smoothies as the perfect place to experiment. I've put everything from blueberries and bananas to strawberries, nectarines, peaches and prunes into smoothies and have yet to make a bad one. Consider the recipe below a guideline for your own smoothie journey. What's your favorite smoothie combination?

Strawberry Banana Smoothie
yields three tall glasses

ingredients

1 cup vanilla yogurt (you can use plain too if you're trying to avoid all sugar)
1/3-1/2 cup orange juice (this prevents it from being too thick; you can use any kind of juice from cranberry to apple and others)
4-5 ice cubes (these make the smoothie cold like a milkshake)
1 cup diced berries (in this case strawberries)
1 banana (helps to thicken; I add this to most smoothies for this reason)
dash of flaxseed if you want to add a little surprise fiber :)

method
Add them all to a blender and puree. You might have to stop it and stir things around and then puree again to make sure you get all the ingredients. Pour and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment