Monday, June 14, 2010

Meatless Mondays: Easy as (Pizza) Pie


Janet here: When I want to make a fast guilt-free dinner that's nutritious, I make my favorite kind of pizza: broccoli pizza with cheese. I prefer my pizza without red sauce and love making up different concoctions of goodies to put on top. The options are as vast as your imagination. As I've noted before, broccoli is my absolute favorite vegetable; I only allow myself to serve it twice a week so there isn't a family mutiny, but if I lived on my own (and cooked, which is another story), I would eat broccoli all the time.

Anyway this pizza makes use of pre-made pizza dough from the store — I said this was an easy meatless meal, remember? — but if you prefer to make your own, go for it. I have done it, but with pre-made dough (I like Trader Joe's) so ubiquitous these days, I'd rather put my time into something else. Anyway, this meal literally takes minutes, which means your Monday can be meat-free and easy.

Broccoli Pizza
serves 2 with a little left over

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium head of broccoli cut up into bite-size pieces
1 medium onion, diced but not too finely
2-3 cloves garlic, minced (or more if you like garlic)
spices: I use everything from red pepper flakes to oregano, basil, salt and pepper, all to taste
3/4 cup crumbled feta
1 cup grated parmesan
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar

Method
Let the dough sit out for 20 minutes to reach room temperature. While that's happening, saute the onions until they are translucent, about 5 minutes or so. Add the garlic. Saute for 1 minutes. Add the broccoli and seasonings. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli is just cooked (I like my veggies crunchy and remember you will be baking this so it will be cooked further). Put aside.

Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Roll out the pizza dough on a floured surface to roughly a 12-inch diameter. Place the dough onto your sprayed cookie sheet or pizza stone. Add the broccoli saute. Top with the cheeses. Bake for about 10 minutes, depending on how crisp you like your pizza crust.

1 comment:

  1. I made this tonight and it was delicious. I used a Boboli crust and added mushrooms. I normally like my pizza with tomato sauce but this was so good without. Loved everything about it!

    ReplyDelete