Thursday, December 9, 2010

Uncle Bub's Shortbread


Hey Ma-

One of the things I really like about this time of year is baking holiday foods that you baked when I was growing-up. I like carrying forward traditions and the stories that accompany them. I've added something to my December kitchen repertoire, though. For the past few years I've baked Grandma's shortbread. The recipe was Uncle Bub's (M's great-great uncle!) and it is incredibly simple and irresistibly good. I like the idea of adding to the tradition I grew up in, bringing in Dad's side of the family and different generations. All of this will yield a bounty of stories for M once she's older. For today she was content to watch the butter cream, fascinated by the whirring sound and whipping motion.

If you haven't made these cookies you should asap. The only advice I'd give is to make a double batch because they really don't last long.

XXOO
-R

Grandma Reynolds' (via Uncle Bub) Scotch Shortbread

ingredients
2/3 c. sweet butter, room temporature
1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 c.+ 2 T. sifted flour
1/2 tspn. salt

method
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cream butter, add sugar gradually, beat till fluffy. Sift flour and salt into creamed mix. Blend by hand thoroughly (there really is no other way at this point...). Press mixt into 9" pie tin and pinch edge to form fluted rim. Prick surface with fork. Mark into 16-20 wedges, cutting 1/2 thru dough. Bake till firm when pressed in center, about 35 minutes (in aluminum pan bake on lower shelf, in glass pan on center shelf). Cool in pan. Cut through wedges while warm. Serve once completely cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment